A little over a week ago I had the privilege of speaking at the 2:1 Conference. This year was a different perspective for me as I was a speaker and also with my two bosses. I saw things more through the eyes of a brand this year, and also as a leader of sorts since I was a speaker. Not saying I’m a big leader, just meaning that speakers are a kind of leader.
I learned and observed…
- Special needs moms need each other. Just like last year, a bunch of us special needs moms sat around a table Friday night after the regular conference schedule. We listened, commiserated, and encouraged each other in the journey (I’m going to mention this more on Monday. One story so saddened me!). This time blessed me.
- Just like 2:1 Conference host Stef Layton, I enjoy helping other women. It was fun to share social media tips and help these women succeed at their blogging ventures.
- I actually know what I’m talking about. Giving my workshop and hearing the feedback from attendees afterward was a real confidence booster for me.
- When you’re at a blogging conference, brands are watching bloggers to see how they interact and carry themselves, even when bloggers don’t realize it. You never know when a brand is looking to hire someone to work on a project for them or join their team. Businesses also help each other find new contacts, so they may be taking notes for someone else.
- Likewise, bloggers watch brands and speakers to see how they present themselves.
- Diligence in child training and teaching will pay off. I listened in as my boss’ daughter, soon to graduate, joined in discussions and shared thoughtful insights.
- I talk with my hands a lot when I am presenting!
- We need an extra day for fun and visiting.
- You can make a big impact with a simple gesture. As an alumna, a speaker, and a brand, I tried to make people feel comfortable. By taking the time to say “hi” and introduce myself, I helped others and made new friends. In fact, one of my new friends wrote about that. You can find her post here.
Have you attended a blogging conference before? What have YOU learned? Leave a comment!
Here are some fun pictures of the 2:1 Conference. Some are courtesy of Jamie Worley at See Jamie Blog and some are courtesy of my phone.